Aeromedical Monitoring Personnel
Summary of Monitor Plan
l. The following assumptions are made:
(a) Department of Defense physicians will be used.
2. For certain key monitor positions in Project Mercury, Space Task
Group medical personnel will be used. Included in this list should be:
3. Suggested monitors are as follows on the chart:
(b) Personnel to be trained and assigned on a TDY basis.
(c) When possible, station assignment will be close to duty station.
(d) Provision will be made to train additional DOD personnel to provide
a pool of trained monitors for later operations and to provide a reserve
for Mercury operations.
(e) Advanced residents in aviation medicine would be a good source
of extra personnel.
(f) STG-NASA reserves right to review and interview qualifications
of personnel to be assigned in direct support of Mercury.
(g) STG-NASA will be responsible for monitor training.
(h) Where possible Mercury personnel will be used to accomplish other
national objectives as a by-product.
(i) Approximate total time for monitor training—4-6weeks over a period
of about 10 months.
4. Additional consultants and monitors regards as desirable:
Aeromedical Monitors Originally Appointed:
1. Capt. Carl E. Pruett, USN (MC)
Aeromedical Consultants Originally Appointed:
2. Col. Vance H. Marchbanks, USAF (MC)
3. Capt. Edward L. Beckman, USN (MC)
4. Lt. Col. Edwin L. Overholt, USA (MC)
5. Lt. Col. Charles A. Berry, USAF (MC)
6. Lt. Col. William R. Turner, USAF (MC)
7. Lt. Col. Jacques L. Sherman, USA (MC)
8. Thomas R. Davis, M.D.
9. Lt. Comdr. Frank H. Austin, USN (MC)
10. Maj. John C. Lawson, USA (MC)
11. Lt. Comdr. John J. Gordon, USN (MC)
12. Maj. William H. Hall, USA (MC)
13. Maj. Harry R. Bratt, USAF (MC)
14. Maj. Fritz N.G. Holstrom, USAF (MC)
15. Lt. Comdr. Glenn S. Kelly, USN (MC)
18. Maj. George B. Smith, USAF (MC)
17. Maj. Robert H. Moser, USA (MC)
18. Maj. Robert R. Burwell, USAF (MC)
19. Maj. Willard R. Hawkins, USAF (MC)
20. Maj. Julian E. Ward, USAF (MC)
21. Maj. C. H. Kratochvil, USAF (MC)
22. Lt. Edmund P. Jacobs, USN (MC)
1. Col. Harold Ellingson, USAF (MC)
2. Lawrence E. Lamb, M.D.
3. Col. Samuel M. Sandifer, USA (MC)
4. Maj. James C. Syner, USA (MC)