The Apollo 15 mission was the fourth lunar landing and resulted in the
collection of a wealth of scientific information. The Apollo system, in
addition to providing a means of transportation, excelled as an operational
scientific facility. The following conclusions are drawn from the
information in this report:
1. The Apollo 15 mission demonstrated that, with the addition of
consumables and the installation of scientific instruments, the command and
service module is an effective means of gathering scientific data. Real-
time data allowed participation by scientists with the crew in planning and
making decisions to maximize scientific results.
2. The mission demonstrated that the modified launch vehicle,
spacecraft and life support system configurations can successfully transport
larger payloads and safely extend the time spent on the moon.
3. The modified pressure garment and portable life support system
provided better mobility and extended the lunar surface extravehicular
4. The ground-controlled mobile television camera allowed greater
real-time participation by earth-bound scientists and operational
personnel during lunar surface extravehicular activity.
5. The practicality of the lunar roving vehicle was demonstrated
by greatly increasing man's load carrying capability and range of
exploration of the lunar surface.
6. The lunar communications relay unit provided the capability for
continuous communications enroute to and at the extended ranges made
possible by the lunar roving vehicle.
7. Landing site visibility was improved by the use of a steeper
8. Apollo 15 demonstrated that the crew can operate to a greater
degree as scientific observers and investigators and rely more on the
ground support team for systems monitoring.
9. The value of manned space flight was further demonstrated by the
unique capability of man to observe and think creatively, as shown in the
supplementation and redirection of many tasks by the crew to enhance
scientific data return.
10. The mission emphasized that crew training equipment must be flight
equipment or have all the fidelity of flight equipment.