NASA Expresses Concern And Condolences For Helicopter Crew
RELEASE: 03-124
NASA Administrator Sean O'Keefe expressed condolences and concern for the crew
of the helicopter searching for Space Shuttle Columbia debris, which crashed
yesterday in Texas.
"All of us at NASA express our sincere condolences to the families of the
helicopter crew members killed in the accident. We deeply empathize with their
loss during such a trying time, and have lowered flags at all NASA centers to
honor the memory of their loved ones. Our thoughts and concerns go out to the
injured crew members, and we pray for their speedy recovery," Administrator
O'Keefe said.
Administrator O'Keefe visited the operations area earlier this week and thanked
the personnel searching for Columbia debris. "I spoke with Governor Rick
Perry, our debris search partners, local and state law enforcement officials,
and I feel this accident has widened the NASA family. We at NASA have been so
impressed by the devotion, energy and dedication of search crews, and we are
deeply sorry for the loss and injury of the people helping us solve the Columbia
accident," Administrator O'Keefe said.
The contract Bell 407 helicopter crashed Thursday afternoon, while searching
for Columbia debris in the Angelina National Forest in San Augustine County,
Texas. Five people were on the helicopter when it crashed. Two were killed and
three injured. Flight operations have been temporarily suspended, and the FAA
and National Transportation Safety Board will investigate the accident. The
helicopter was operating under USDA Forest Service contract with Papillon Helicopters
of Arizona.
Ground search operations for Columbia debris continue. Search operations in
eastern Texas were scheduled to continue for approximately four to six weeks.
It is too early to determine if the accident will delay completion of search
operations.
For more information about NASA or the Columbia accident investigation on the
Internet, visit: http://www.nasa.gov.