OFFICE OF THE ADMINISTRATOR
May 22, 1973
Mr. Bruce T. Lundin
Lewis Research Center
21000 Brookpark Road
Cleveland, OH 44135
Subject: Skylab 1 Investigation Board
As you know certain anomalies have occurred during the launch and earth-orbit of Skylab 1, and they have jeopardized the full attainment of the Skylab mission. It is important to NASA that the cause of the anomalies be established and that appropriate preventative measures be taken for future NASA launches.
I am, therefore, establishing a Board to investigate the anomalies and request that you act as Chairman of this Board. The Board is established in accordance with the policy stated in NMI 8621.1A. I have enclosed a NASA Notice which describes the Board's purpose, authority, and responsibilities among other matters. I ask that you recommend to me a slate of candidates for membership on the Board on or before May 29, 1973. I also request that you meet with the Associate Administrator for Manned Space Flight and the Director of the Marshall Space Flight Center within a week after the launch of Skylab 2 to establish a schedule for the Board's activities.
SUBJECT: SKYLAB 1 INVESTIGATION BOARD
This Notice establishes the Skylab 1 Investigation Board and sets forth its responsibilities and membership.
a. The Skylab 1 Investigation Board is hereby established because it is in the public interest to determine the actual or probable cause(s) of the anomalies which occurred during the launch and initial earth orbits of Skylab 1 and to recommend appropriate preventative measures for future NASA launches.
b. The Chairman of the Board will report to the Administrator and Deputy Administrator.
3. AUTHORITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
a. The Board will:
(1) obtain and analyze whatever evidence, facts, and opinions it considers relevant by relying upon reports of studies, findings, recommendations, and other actions by NASA officials and contractors or by conducting inquiries, hearings, tests, and other actions de novo. In so doing, it may take testimony and receive statements from witnesses.
(2) Impound property, equipment and records to the extent that it considers necessary.
(3) Determine the actual or probable cause(s) of the Skylab 1 anomalies.
(4). Develop recommendations for preventive and other appropriate actions.
(5) Provide a final written report to the Administrator.
(6) Carry out any other responsibilities that may be requested by the Administrator or Deputy Administrator.
b. The Chairman will:
(1) Conduct Board activities in accordance with the provisions of this Notice and any other instructions that the Administrator or Deputy Administrator may issue.
(2) Establish and document, to the extent considered necessary, rules and procedures for the organisation and operation of the Board, including any subgroups, and for the format and content of oral or written reports to the Board and by it.
(3) Designate any representatives, consultants, experts, liiaison officers, or other individuals who may be
required to support the activities of the Board and define their duties and responsibilities.
(4) Establish and announce a target date for submitting a final report and keep all NASA officials concerned, informed of the Board's plans, progress, and findings.
(5) Designate another member of the Board to act as Vice-Chairman.
The Chairman, members of the Board, observers and supporting staff are designated in Attachment A.
The Chairman will arrange for the conduct of all meetings and for such records or minutes of meetings an he considers necessary.
6. ADMINISTRATIVE AND OTHER SUPPORT
a. The Directors of the John F. Kennedy Space Center, the George C. Marshall Space Flight Center, and the Johnson Space Center will arrange for providing office space and other facilities and services that may be requested by the Chairman or his designee.
b. All elements of NASA will cooperate fully with the Board and provide any records, data, and other administrative or technical support and services that may be requested.
The Administrator will terminate the Board when it has fulfilled his requirements.
This Notice is automatically canceled one year from its effective date.
A - Members and affiliates of the Skylab 1 Investigation Board (listed on page ii of this report)