National Aeronautics and Space Administration
NASA History Division
The Apollo 8 Flight Journal
David Woods and Frank O'Brien
Welcome to this 10 April 2017 release of the Apollo 8 Flight Journal, part of the Apollo Flight Journal series.
Like its companion, the Apollo Lunar Surface Journal, it is intended to be a resource for all those interested in the Apollo program, whether in a passing or scholarly capacity.
This journal covers the flight of Apollo 8, eventually from launch to splashdown. As a
living document, it will continue to grow and evolve and major changes will be intimated in the appropriate internet groups.
Journals for other Apollo flights are available at the AFJ Portal.
Travelling from the Earth to the Moon
In the Moon's Embrace
Returning to Earth
Apollo 8 Documents - with thanks to Bob Andrepont
Other journal resources can be found at the AFJ portal.
- Apollo 8 Press Kit (4.02MB PDF file).
- Apollo 8 Flight Plan Volume 1 (16.4MB PDF file)
- Apollo 8 Flight Plan Volume 2 (Lunar Orbit) (2.66MB PDF file)
- Apollo 8 Mission Operations Report (AS-503) Pre-Launch Information
- Apollo 8 Mission Operations Report (AS-503) Post Launch Information
- Apollo 8 Mission Operations Report (AS-503) Post Launch Supplemental Information
- Apollo 8 Mission Report (8.2MB PDF file)
- Apollo 8 mission report. Supplement 1: Trajectory reconstruction and postflight analysis
- Apollo 8 Mission Report. Supplement 2: Guidance, Navigation, and Control
- Apollo 8 Mission Report, Supplement 4: Service propulsion system final flight evaluation -
- Apollo 8 Mission: 3 Day Report
- Apollo 8 Mission - Final Flight Evaluation Report
- SA-503 Saturn V Flight Manual (15.6MB PDF file)
- Apollo 8 Saturn V Flight Evaluation Report (KLABS)
- Apollo/Saturn 5 Space Vehicle Selected Structural Element Review Report, AS-503
- Saturn 5 S-II Final Propulsion System Performance Prediction, Flight SA-503, Volume 2
- Apollo/Saturn 5 Postflight Trajectory: AS-503
- Updated Emergency Detection System Analysis of Upper Stage Malfunctions for the AS-503 C Prime Mission Final Report
- Analysis of Apollo 8 photography and visual observations
- Lunar landmark locations - Apollo 8, 10, 11, and 12 missions
- Flight Transcripts (Will open to an html page) (JSC)
- C-prime lunar tracking data, selection controllers procedures, techniques description
- Preliminary clinical report of the medical aspects of Apollos 7 and 8
- Apollo 8 moon orbital flight, news briefing
Correspondence regarding corrections, additions and typographic errors are welcome and should be sent to David Woods at or to Frank O'Brien at . The most recent updates to the Journal are listed in the updates file.
The corrected transcript, commentary, and other text incorporated in the Apollo Flight Journal is protected by copyright. No portion of the Journal may be reproduced or copied onto any medium (except as required by browsing software) without express permission from the authors. Specifically, the unauthorized creation of personal copies, or of copies for sale is prohibited. Unauthorized commercial use of the Apollo Flight Journal is prohibited; and the commercial use of the name or likeness of any of the astronauts without his express permission is prohibited.
The United States Government retains a non-exclusive, royalty-free license to publish or reproduce the published form of the Apollo Flight Journal, or to allow others to do so, for U.S. Government purposes.
These files are copyright © 2002 - 2009. W. David Woods and Frank O'Brien.
Last updated 2017-04-10